Someone has written of believing six impossible things before breakfast. It is strange what impossible things we believe when we think it is to our advantage to do so.
– that tobacco smoke is harmless;
– that global warming is a myth;
– that American missile sites on Russian borders will promote world peace;
– that we can best promote peace through exploitation and force;
– that insulting someone else’s religion does not threaten world harmony;
– that Israeli “settlements” in Arab lands should be accepted graciously by the Arabs;
– that privatization of health care will be less costly and more effective than one-payer health care;
– that higher profits for millionaires promote the general economic welfare of the country;
– that we can promote world justice by denying justice and ignoring international law.